Tuesday, October 18, 2005

my silver pinkie ring

I have ring I bought at the flea market in Plaza Dorego,
a man's ring I'm quite certain
It has that little dreaming angel
from the ceiling of the Sistine chapel on it,
it's head resting in the upturned palm,
an image very popular with those that
believe in angels and
like Victorian and country things

It's not quite round anymore,
molded to the finger that wore it (I imagine),
to countless milongas
where it witnessed scenes of
real-life-soap-opera drama
on the edge of the pista,
betrayal, lust, impossible love

A talisman familiar to
his wife
his lover
his favorite partners

Who, I wonder, upon his death
fought over the precious heirloom
or
was it discarded for pennies
in a rummage sale
disposing of the contents
of his rented room?

No comments: